Gestalt, Decay is the second stage in Sub-chapter 27, Body & Soul.
The level starts by spawning a Scissoroo and a few Kroxos and Shibaliens. After attacking the base, a huge group of the three is spawned. After a while, more of the same enemies are spawned, only this time with a few Black enemies mixed in. Eventually, the Aliens gradually get replaced by a horde of black enemies.
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS STAGE!!
This is the hardest stage in the subchapter and should not be handeled lightly. You MUST lure the scissoroos towards your base and NEVER rely too much on Slow attacking units. (Like Bahamut, Lionheart, Thundia, Mekako, Jizo’s moving castle) Keep in mind that the Shadow Boxer K’s have more DPS than Black Cyclone and Scissoroos in this stage can do 30K damage even with all ITF and CoTC treasures.
Fast AoE attackers will work well.
You must use meatshields, Paris, C. UFO (or similar units) and some heavy attackers that aren't as slow as C. Bahamut, if possible. When you get enough cash and you have summoned your main attackers, turn on Cat CPU. Good luck!
Note that if you have Takeda Shingen, the Twinstars or Kasa Jizo, this stage becomes much easier. Remember that the Scissoroos are not the main threat of the stage BUT the Black Enemies later on are so if you are having trouble with the very first part of the stage then go back and collect treasures. Black enemies also have their own treasures so if you are having trouble with them go back and collect those treasures, especially those in Into The Future because at this point of the game you should have completed it, with all treasures.
This is a very heavily luck-based stage that requires high-level cats, so the strategies below might not work even if you follow every single step. If they're not working, the most likely reasons are that your cats aren't a high enough level, you were just plain unlucky or both.
Line Up: Cat, Gold Cat/Li'l Cat, Catburger (if you don't have gold cat, use another cheap meatshield with the same speed), Paris cat, Polevaulter cat (important, but the level is doable without it) and 5 more units of your choice; do not use Ramen Cat, Solar Cat or Titan Cat variant, Psychocat nor anybody else with short range or alien target, focus on units with area attacks and quick attack speed, with decent range and/or stamina. if you bring ubers, remember that in their pause between attacks the enemies will advance, and if these ubers cannot keep them at distance simply get rid of them.
Warning: Everything has to be high level, especially polevaulters as they risk to be oneshotted otherwise.
Bombercat and Ururun are recommended, in the uber section, the ultra souls Urashima Taro (not for resistance, that won't matter much) and Princess Kaguya help a lot with high attack speed (if you plan to use Kaguya and Bombercat, also add Valkyrie Cat for the combo), for the Vajiras the best ones are Takeda Shingen (misses a lot, but allows the regain of terrain often), Date Masamune (not tested, but he should do a great job) and Uesugi. From other sets there are few ubers that can really help. If you have Kasa Jizo or the Twinstars you are probably not going to have problems, but an inefficient strategy may still cause trouble.
- The first part is easy, all you need to do is spam Cat and Gold Cat by alternating them, this way you'll keep the aliens at bay while you start stacking up some polevaulters and parises, add some Catburgers every once in a while, if the enemies are pushing too much, make sure that the Polevaulters are sufficiently protected.
- When the blacks start coming spam everyone, make sure that Cat and Gold Cat are always summoned in an alternated pattern for the whole battle (never quickly summon the 2 at the same time, wait for one to be 50% ready to be summoned again then summon the other etc.) and summon everything you have whenever you can.
- If you arrive at the blacks part with many Polevaulters alive, they will likely keep the HP of the incoming enemies close to knockback point, allowing the other attackers to do their jobs and continuously knock back the enemies so that they will not push too much on your defenses, otherwise you may lose terrain and some attackers.
- If you lose, try to understand why, if the blacks were not being Knocked back enough, it may be due to the lack of area DPS, solve the problem by adding attackers and NOT meatshields. If you can hold the position but the enemies slowly push back and break through, add a long ranged uber or improve the stamina of your attackers by replacing them with better ones.
- What should be happening is for the blacks to be knocked back after taking out few meatshields or even before getting to close, they have a strong pushing force that makes extra meatshielding quite ineffective, so you must rely on damage delivered continuously to keep your lines safe, otherwise you have no chance.
- You also have to lure the first wave of Scissoroos or else you won’t have a strong defense against the black enemies. Keep in mind that the shadow boxers in this stage have more DPS than Black cyclone.
Here's an example of a setup that worked fine for me, i willingly did not use better units like twinstars etc, since you may not have better units either (C. UFO is not included because mine is at level 4), but without Kaguya and another uber i wasn't able to complete the level (2 stars):
Polev.(42) Paris(45) Kaguya(36) Valk(29) Bomber(30)
Mohawk Gold Burger Megidora(36) Manic Legs(40)